Apr 28, 2012

Assumptions about disability

Blogging Against Disablism Day, May 1st 2012
This entry is part of Blogging Against Disablism Day.


Mitchell B. from Riverside, California asks:

What are the most common assumptions about disability made by able-bodied people?

---

I love this question. For the purposes of this blog, I will focus mainly on physical disabilities since that is what I know best.

---

Assumption #1: If you are in a wheelchair, you cannot walk.

Reality: While it is true that many people who use wheelchairs cannot walk, that is not always the case. Many wheelchair users, including myself, can walk certain distances. However, for one reason or another, it is not always practical to do so. For example, someone has cerebral palsy may be able to get around the house fine but it is possible that any distance beyond 100 feet may be too much to handle. Another possibility is that someone may fatigue easily from walking too much; remember that for many conditions, some muscles or nerves cannot be activated, thus it may require a lot more energy for someone to walk (because different muscles may be used – muscles that may not be optimal for walking).

It is easier to think of it this way. Imagine you have a very old grandparent who is slow at getting around but can do usual everyday things. If you were to have a family trip to Disneyland, where it would be crowded with lots of walking and standing, what would you do? Many people would choose to rent a wheelchair to make things easier and less tiring. It is the same idea for some people – the ability to walk is there but it may not be physically practical to do so.

---

Assumption #2: All people in wheelchairs are paralyzed.

Reality: Of course, from the previous answer, this is not always the case. Some people may have cerebral palsy, hip conditions, fatigue conditions and so on.

---

Assumption #3: Paralyzed people cannot walk or move their legs.

Reality: While this is true for many people, it is still a common misconception. If someone's spinal cord injury is "complete," then this is likely true. If someone has an "incomplete" injury, then many things can happen. People with incomplete injuries often have some degree of feeling or control over the muscles below the point of injury. Even people with cervical spinal cord injuries ("partial quadriplegia") can possibly regain the ability to walk.

There is also something called spasms, which are basically involuntary muscle movements. It can take place in the form of a sudden twitch, or vibrating muscles (so someone's legs may be "jigging" up and down rapidly).

---

Assumption #4: People in wheelchairs cannot drive or have children.

Reality: Driving is possible for almost everyone nowadays thanks to new technologies. Cars can be driven without using legs if hand controls are installed (where one can control both the brakes and gas pedals using levers). Fertility is more complicated and depends on the person's condition; it is not unheard of for males to father children or even females with paralysis to give birth.

---

Assumption #5: If you are paralyzed, you need around-the-clock care.

Reality: This is actually quite a common assumption. I cannot count the number of times when I am in public and people wonder who is "with me" (as in who is my "caretaker"). Once things are adapted, it is entirely possible for someone with paralysis to live independently. In fact, I know of several partial quadriplegics who do. I have done so as well. Sometimes extra help may be needed, but independent living is a possibility for many.

---

Assumption #6: If you can't walk, your shoes will always stay clean.

Reality: Does a bicycle stay clean if you leave it in the shed? Of course not. Similarly, shoes do get dirty without being walked in, especially if they get out on a nearly daily basis. In addition, wheelchair users may need to transfer from one surface to another (such as from a wheelchair to a bed); this process can actually leave one's shoes quite banged up.

---

Assumption #7: Using a wheelchair is easy.

Reality: Believe it or not, this is common. While using a wheelchair gets easier over time, it is not "easy." A slight slope to a walking person may be like a mountain to a wheelchair user. Sometimes a detour around a flight of stairs may be multiple times longer and harder (when there is actually a detour). A slightly bumpy or uneven surface may prevent a wheelchair user from getting from point A to B easily.

Another thing that many people do not think about is physical ability. An able-bodied person in a wheelchair is able to use more muscles than someone who has a disability. For example, someone who has paralysis from the stomach down may not have use of his/her abdominal muscles for pushing a wheelchair. Also, someone who has impairment in the arms or fingers may not be able to push a wheelchair with a full grip.

---

Assumption #8: People with disabilities do not want to work.

Reality: This is almost the same as the idea that people with disabilities are "lazy." Many people with disabilities, including me, want to work. The biggest problem lies not in one's willingness or ability to work but rather in employers' attitudes.

I have come across many employers who assume that I will not be able to do the job due to my condition, even if the position itself does not involve a lot of physical activity; in fact, employers often will nearly TELL you what you can or cannot do rather than listening or seeing for themselves. I also know several friends who want to work but nobody will give them the chance to do so.

There is also a huge fear that to accommodate someone with a disability, the company would need to spend thousands of dollars to do so. This is often not the case; quite often, if a company cannot afford it, there are government programs in place to assist. Even more often, if someone needs very specialized equipment (such as special keyboards for computers), the person with the disability may already own the equipment!

There is an instant assumption of inability instead of ability. People with disabilities want to contribute to society like everyone else, but are often not "allowed" to do so.

---

Assumption #9: People with disabilities need our help.

Reality: Sometimes they do. Sometimes they do not. If they need help, they will ask for it.

One of the most common things I come across is when I am unloading/loading my wheelchair from my car, someone will stop and ask if I need help doing so. When that happens, I always think, "Do you really think that I would get into my car and drive somewhere without a proper exit strategy in place for once I arrive at my destination?" In fact, it may be even MORE time-consuming for someone to help in this case, because that person may not know how to assemble/disassemble my wheelchair!

---

Assumption #10: Physical disability is an indicator of mental disability.

Reality: This one sounds silly when spoken out loud, doesn't it? In fact, this is quite common and sometimes annoying. There is nothing worse than going to a place where someone treats you like a child simply because of your disability.

One of the things that I do is assume that someone's mental capacities are present unless it is made explicit that it is not the case. This is especially important for conditions like cerebral palsy; someone with this condition may not be able to speak, walk, control their saliva, etc. but may have their mental capacities completely intact.

---

Assumption #11: All paralyzed people have skinny legs.

Reality: Many do have muscle atrophy, but not all do. Due to spasms and my own exercise programs, I do not have a lot of atrophy. I know many people who do not have much atrophy. On the other hand, there are some who have severe atrophy (to the point where if they were magically "healed" all of a sudden, they still would not be able to walk because their legs cannot support their own weight).

---

Assumption #12: People with disabilities cannot make their own decisions.

Reality: This is another "silly when you hear it" one that happens often. One common thing that happens is when I am with a friend at a restaurant, the server will ask my friend what I would like, instead of asking me directly. Always address the person with the disability directly, even if he/she does not have the physical ability to respond. I did this once to a non-verbal child with autism, and his parents appreciated that I said "How are you?" directly to the child, treating him like everybody else.

---

Assumption #13: If you're in a wheelchair, you must know everyone else in town who is in a wheelchair.

Reality: No, I don't know Sally with the blond hair and black wheelchair. I'm sure she's nice though.

---

Assumption #14: All people in wheelchairs are good at wheelchair sports.

Reality: I wish this were the case. I could use some athletic ability. However, I really do want to see more people doing adaptive sports in order to stay healthy.

---

Assumption #15: I will never make any of these assumptions.

Reality: Perhaps but chances are that you will. I certainly have. It's more important to learn from it for next time. Nobody is perfect.

13 comments:

  1. Thanks Mitchell for this. I am going to bookmark this page for the very next time (and the times after that!) when folk ask me similar Q's. Cheers! %)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a very good question by Mitchell indeed. I'm actually a bit surprised it took this long for someone to ask it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also wonder where people get these ideas from in the first place! So many of them sound utterly ridiculous to me. Glad he asked, though! Better to learn than to remain ignorant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often wonder the same thing myself. Perhaps it relates to something you posted, about how people with disabilities are often treated like another species. I certainly feel that way sometimes. What is so difficult about treating someone like... well, just another person?

      It reminds me of the time I spent abroad in a country in Asia, before I had to use a wheelchair. I am of Asian descent so I looked like everyone else but did not speak the language in that country (since my ancestry is from another Asian country). As soon as I opened my mouth, it became obvious that I was not "one of them." This particular country is not used to dealing with foreigners, so many of them would have no idea how to treat me, so they defaulted to treating me like another species. (It's the same for Caucasian people but more sudden and "obvious.") So you could say I've had some experience with being treated differently, even before being a wheelchair user. :)

      However, there are many people in that country who do not want to make this mistake and make efforts to do things "right," just like people here in North America when it comes to disability. So Mitchell deserves credit for trying to learn more by asking -- and that is the whole point of this blog. It is meant to encourage people to ask legitimate questions that they might be too nervous to ask in real life. I want to show that we don't bite. :)

      Delete
  4. This is a good response to all of these ridiculous assumptions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the ones about standing/walking and for the SHOES! Every time I see a cop show where the person is in a wheelchair and then they realize the person is a "faker" because they are not paralyzed(!) because they have wear on their shoes(!!) I want to SCREAM!

    P.S. Are you aware that captcha (word verification) is on? This makes it difficult for people w/certain types of disabilities to comment. Blogger has recently changed things, so I think some people have it without knowing it, so I wanted to give you a head's up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know about the captcha. Blogger's new dashboard is... well, I will refrain from saying the word that was on my mind. For the sake of the children. :)

      The shoes part gets to me too. I see a lot of people on Twitter say things like, "That person is faking, his shoes are dirty." I know so many wheelchair users who have dirty shoes but have never taken a step in their lives. It's such a false assumption but many non-wheelchair users never question it until I use the "bike in the shed" analogy.

      Delete
  6. One more assumption that someone suggested to me today was "People in wheelchairs are asexual beings." This is so true. (Ruth Madison knows about this.)

    People in wheelchairs are often treated like the "friend" rather than the "boy/girlfriend." Some people do not even consider the possibility of dating someone in a wheelchair, let alone marrying one. Quite often, it is assumed that the person in the wheelchair may not even have sexual feelings at all. (It's as if the wheelchair kills our hormones!)

    One of the groups out there that I find interesting is the devotee group. I'm not for or against that group, but I find their viewpoint to be an interesting change from the norm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for these, from a wheelchair user with CP who walks upstairs on the promise of beer, who's getting married next year and looking forward to having children!

    Lorna
    http://ginlemonade.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is one of those lists that everyone needs to read. I keep telling people to ask, not assume - it'd be so much easier if I ran the world.

    Or you...because this is a great post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everyone should read this post. I wish that people would ask, not assume.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a great post, I still don't use a wheelchair but might need it soon. I worry people think I am faking a physical disability because I can walk but I can't walk much, always with pain and fatigue and lack of balance.
    I'm curious, what do you mean by mental disability? I think you are talking about intelectual disability but mental illness is called like that sometimes, cognitive disabilities and some developmental disabilities are all considered mental disabilities in some places.
    I don't think people with mental disabilities can be treated as children the same way no one should be treated like that. I doubt anyone has no mental capacities, different, slower or less but the capacities exist and it should be assumed to exist and adapt to when they are different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The term "mental disability" usually means intellectual or cognitive disability around these parts, it seems. Mental illness is just "mental illness." I think the reason for that might be because some people confuse intellectual disabilities with mental illness (which happens, as weird as it may sound).

      I worry about people thinking I'm faking a physical disability as well. I have some pretty noticeable spasms at times and I have some movement, but if people who aren't familiar with physical disabilities see that, they can think I'm a faker. It comes with the territory.

      Delete